More than 150 libraries have come together to form NJHealthConnect @ Your Library, funded by the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 through the New Jersey State Library. NJHealthConnect @ Your Library taps the talents of librarians and the physical accessibility of public libraries to bring health information to New Jersey’s communities. Some residents, especially immigrants, seniors, and people from low incomes, unjustly bear the consequences of low health literacy. These consequences can include longer hospitalizations and recoveries, more frequent visits to the emergency room, diagnosis of disease at a later stage, depression, higher risk of COVID infection, lack of health insurance and a higher risk of death. Many do not own a computer, putting vital health information needed to make informed decisions beyond their reach. Others need health information in their native language or written at a lower literacy level so that they can discuss their diagnoses, treatments and choices with their medical provider. In addition, lifestyle constraints such as working irregular or nighttime shifts prohibits vulnerable people, especially immigrants, from seeing a doctor during normal visiting hours.
Each iPad will arrive preconfigured with apps and links to 24/7 telemedicine sites; places for mental health support for all ages; Covid updates in English and Spanish; and multilingual health information. The iPads include apps for Google Meet and Zoom to meet with a doctor virtually.
- Who may borrow the iPad? Sayreville adult cardholders in good standing. One iPad per household.
- For how long may I borrow the iPad? The iPad will circulate for 14 days, with 1 renewal (as long as there are no holds on the item).
- How much does it cost? Borrowing the iPad is free, however there are fines if the item is overdue, damaged, or lost. Overdue iPads are $1.00/day. Lost/damaged iPads are $450, lost/damaged cases and chargers are $10 each.
- How do I use the iPad? A librarian can walk you through how to turn on the iPad and access apps, however they are unable to schedule/attend appointments with you.
- A Wifi connection is required to use the iPad. Free wifi is available within the library and in the parking lot.